The community is located 290km North West from Alice Springs along the Tanami Highway, which branches off the Stuart Highway 25 km North of Alice Springs. It takes 3 1/2 hours to drive there. The road is sealed for the first 277 km from the highway and the rest of the way is formed and largely gravelled with some sections not gravelled. The road can be quite corrugated but is usually passable for ordinary vehicles except after heavy rains. The access to the community after the turn off from the Tanami Road is 3 km, of which the first 1 km is gravelled and the balance is sealed.
The Northern Territory Government has put together resources to help your visit to community be successful. Please have a look at the Remote Engagement and Coordination Strategy and Toolkit available from bushready.nt.gov.au or bushtel.nt.gov.au
You can also go onto to our Visiting Communities page.
You can view the community's plan at Yuendumu Community Plan.
Council Presence in Yuendumu
No. Staff: 33 people (68% Indigenous)
Local Authority: Robert Robertson (Chair), Paul Briscoe (Deputy Chair), Georgina Wilson, Francis Penhall, Elizabeth Lechleitner, Jennifer Baarda, Cecilia Alfonso.
Ward Councillors: Cr Warren Williams (Deputy President), Cr April Martin, Cr Jacob Spencer, Cr Freddy Williams.
Community Achievements (2018/2019)
- Erection of Solar Lights at West Camp Park by Field Officer staff. A Local Authority initiative.
- Capping of Pit at Landfill – March 2019.
- Participation in the Great Northern Clean-up – 2018
- 2 Vet Visits in November 2018 and April 2019. Many dogs and cats were de-sexed, treated for parasites and worms and other dogs treated for other illnesses and injuries.
- The April 2019 visit included a survey by AMRRIC to ascertain the general health of domestic animals in three communities (Yuendumu, Yuelamu and Nyirripi). This survey included number of de-sexed domestic animals, condition of animals, number of dogs etc.
Phone (08) 8993 7900
Fax (08) 8993 7901