To drive to the community from Alice Springs, travel 70 Kilometres (km) north along the Stuart Highway; turn right along the Plenty Highway for 90 km and then turn left 20 km past Gemtree and continue for 28 km on unsealed road to the community.
Engawala has a women's centre, childcare, school and remote health clinic as well as a Shire office. See also DLGH Bustel site.
Council's activities in Engawala:
No. Staff: 18 people (83% Indigenous)
Local Authority: Elizabeth Dixon, Dianne Dixon, Kathy Inkamala, Joy Turner, Janet Tilmouth, Rachel Tilmouth, Danella Guiseppe.
Ward Councillors: Cr Adrian Dixon, Cr James Glenn, Cr David McCormack, Cr Audrey Inkamala.
Community Achievements (2015/2016):
- Construction of a 5x9m outdoor cinema screen with seating
- Construction of a beach volleyball court
- Erection of a dog compound to assist with dog management
- Windbreak planted
- Bush tucker mural painted by local women on the façade of the Women’s Centre
- Removal of car bodies from Mulga Bore outstation
- The local Engawala School Nutrition team prepared and provided 1,479 breakfasts, 4,439 lunches and 8,879 snacks, totalling 14,796 healthy meals for students attending school throughout the year
- Commencement of a major upgrade to the two bathrooms, storage room and external laundry at the Aged Care facility
- Construction of a two bedroom property facilitating a dedicated house for the Council Services Manager
- Upgrade of the Aged Care facility to meet Environmental Health standards including enclosure of the rear verandah, upgrading the bathroom to wheelchair accessible and installation of washing machines and dryers
- New Lockable chemical storage constructed in the Women’s Centre
Phone (08) 8956 9989
Fax (08) 8956 9976