Central Desert Regional Council is a local government authority covering an area over 282,000 Sq. kilometres. The Council provides a range of services in 12 communities to the North of Alice Springs: Lajamanu, Ti Tree, Wilora, Nturiya, Pmara Jutunta, Willowra, Laramba, Nyirripi, Yuelamu, Atitjere, Engawala and Yuendumu. There are also several homelands and outstations. The Central Desert area is considered remote and disadvantaged and over 80% of the population is Aboriginal.
This position is responsible for managing the governance and compliance services of the Central Desert Regional Council. The role leads and manages service plans and projects in a governance capacity relating to elected and appointed members and staff, administrative support of Council and Local Authorities, as well as monitoring and reporting on progress against our Regional Plan.
Keys to your success
- Leadership and management of relationships with Elected member and Local Authority members and ensuring good governance and compliance to the Local Government Act, 2019.
- Leading, monitoring and reporting on Council's compliance with and progress against its Regional Plan
- Providing expert advice, development and management in relation to corporate policies, procedures and practices
- Ensuring the Regional Council complies with all statutory and non-statutory governance requirements including reporting to relevant government departments
- Providing excellence in secretariat services and support to Council and Local Authority members
- Facilitating community engagement activities required for the development of Coucnil plans
- Manage budgeting, reporting and strategic planning for governance, records management and ICT
- Other duties and special projects as directed by the Director Corporate Services and the Chief Executive Officer
- Tertiary qualifications at a minimum degree or equivalent in Business, Management or another related discipline, and a minimum of five years' experience in a similar role.
- An awareness of issues affecting Aborginal people in remote locations and ability to operate effectively in a cross-cultural environment
- Local Government qualifications
What’s on offer?
- Total Remuneration Package $111,125.44 salary ($89,144.47)
- 6 weeks of annual leave
- 4 additional leave days
- 17.5% leave loading
- relocation benefits available
- 9.5% superannuation
The Northern Territory Government has put together the following resources. Please have a look at the Remote Engagement and Coordination Strategy and Toolkit available from www.bushready.nt.gov.au or bushtel.nt.gov.au (external sites).
To apply for this position please download the Position Description and Information Package below and address the selection criteria in writing. Applicants will also need to submit a CV and cover letter. When ready, click the link below.