The Nyirripi Local Authority nominations are now open. They will be open until 9:00am, 12 March 2014. For more information please see your Community Service Manager or call Kimbi on 8958 9517.
Local Boards have done such a great job in the last five years. However this New Year brings some big changes to them and Councils are now establishing Local Authorities.
Local Authority members will be a link between their community and the Central Desert Regional Council. Community members and anyone living in or around the community can nominate to be a Local Authority member. The current members of our Local Boards are encouraged to nominate to be new Local Authority members.
The introduction of new Local Authorities is an opportunity to build on the great efforts of our Local Boards and establish a good group of people to speak up for their community.
Local Authorities need to be representative of key groups within their area by including people who are committed to attend and participate in meetings for the benefit of residents and community members.
So what are the changes?
Old Local Boards
- Not required under legislation
- Are unpaid volunteers
- Do not have input into budget or other financial decisions (unless delegated to do so).
- No minimum number of meetings per year
New Local Authorities
- Required under legislation with compliance guidelines on their functions
- Will receive a meeting allowance (unless a Council staff member)
- Will make recommendations to Council about money spent in their community. Council will decide on how money is spent.
- Minimum of six meetings per year
Nominations for new Local Authority members for each community will be open for 28 days. Please see the Community Service Manager for more information or when nominations open.
Download a nomination form here…..