The Council's 2016/17 Regional Council Plan was adopted at a Special Council meeting today. The plan can be downloaded from the Council's webpage and is also available for inspection at Council offices.
The regional council plan is mindful of the priorities of its various communities, these priorities include:
- A continued focus on animal management including finalisation of the animal management by laws;
- Implementation of better traffic management in all communities including speed control;
- Ongoing improvements to parks and ovals which, in 2016/17, will focus on bringing facilities to regional standards; and
- Support for community safety initiatives including:
- Strengthening community patrols;
- Building strong relationships with Police; and
- Increased youth engagement including youth diversionary activities.
Thanks to the Local Authority Project funding from the Northern Territory Government (NTG), the communities will, once again, see nearly $500K of funding specifically targeted at local community projects.
Council will also be completing a number of large infrastructure projects, some of which have been carried over from 2015/16. The major projects include:
- Completion of the road repairs as part of the National Disaster Recovery arrangements;
- Yuendumu CBD upgrade through the NTG's Strategic Local Road Infrastructure funding; and
- Lajamanu CBD upgrade and storm water project partially funded through the federal Black Spot program.